About the project
The Institute of Environmental Protection – National Research Institute (IOŚ-PIB) is implementing the Project co-funded by the European Union, entitled: “The knowledge base on climate change and adapting to climate change impacts, together with knowledge dissemination channels, to strengthen economic, environmental and societal resilience as well as to support management of extraordinary risks associated with climate change”.
The project comprises numerous tasks, the main objective of which is to raise knowledge on climate change and its impacts with the aim to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of adaptation measures undertaken in the sectors vulnerable to climate change.
Under the framework of the Project implementation, IOŚ-PIB is developing innovative tools and is preparing useful information, recommendations and guidelines .
A number of institutions and authorities are the users of the Project results, including:
- representatives of government and local administration,
- authorities involved in the decision making process on adaptation measures and ways of their implementation to mitigate climate change impacts,
- representatives of professional and scientific communities involved in climate change – related activities.
The Project has a total value of about 20 million PLN (17 million PLN granted by the EU) and is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.
The Project implementation comprises:
Establishment of the Central Emission Database, aimed at ensuring:
- simplification and optimization of self-reporting by operators,
- data consistency and quality,
- provision of reliable emission data for modelling,
- compilation of data on different emission types in a coherent database system, updated annually,
- presentation of the spatial distribution of emissions.
Development of the Decision Making Support System, aimed at:
- contribution to the formulation of emission reduction policy in view of environmental costs,
- anticipation of national activities, which will support preparation of plans and scenarios,
- development of maps as regards:
- air quality simulations
- shares of each source in emission volumes, including, indication of the areas/sectors which have the strongest impact on air quality in a given location (e.g. at a voivodship level)
- the levels of exposure to estimated emission concentrations with adverse effects on human health and the environment
- financial analyses, concerning:
- costs of reduction of pollutant emissions, calculated taking into account different reduction techniques,
- costs and benefits of comparisons of modelling results obtained using various emission volumes.
Development of climate scenarios, aimed at:
- forecast of temperature and precipitation changes in the perspective up to 2100, with a special focus on 2050
- establishment of the website designed for presentation of climate scenarios.
Development of knowledge database on adaptation to climate change
Project tasks related to climate change adaptation are focused on building 2 websites:
- climate – info (read more)
- climate – adaptation (read more)
Numerous information, promotion and education activities will be implemented through:
- information materials,
- knowledge-based reports.
- Brand book (Download)